We are happy to announce that we are now partnering with McGill-Queen's Press and Inanna Publications . New membership benefits now include 20%-30% discount off the book purchase price from our partner publishers, McGill-Queen's Press, and Inanna Publications.
McGill-Queen's University Press is a scholarly publisher that defends, refutes, and creates fresh interpretations of the world. WGSRF members receive 20% off paperback, 30% off cloth titles in this flyer. Valid from May 1st, 2017 to April 30th, 2019.
Inanna Publications and Education Inc., publisher of one of Canada’s oldest feminist scholarly journals, Canadian Woman Studies/les cahier de la femme, is committed to publishing fiction and non-fiction that bring new, innovative and diverse perspectives with the potential to change and enhance women’s lives everywhere. WGSRF members receive 20% discount off their titles, as well as past and current issues of the Canadian Woman Studies/les cahier de la femm journal. For a full list of titles see www.inanna.ca. Please contact WGSRF for promo code.
WGSRF Call for Nominations!
It’s that time of year again! The WGSRF executive is looking for new members to join the executive in the following positions, to be elected at the Annual General Meeting, held during the upcoming conference (Monday, May 29th, 5:00-6:30pm). All positions, except for that of President-elect, are for two years.
· President-elect: 2017-2018, followed by a two year position as President (3 years total). To serve as President of the association—organizing regular executive meetings and the AGM, liaising with CFHSS, ensuring smooth operation of the association’s activities in all ways
· Communications: up to two people. Updating and maintaining the WGSRF website, facebook page, twitter account, and other online presence. Corresponding with membership, responding to WGSRF and/or WGS in the news, etc.
· Secretary: Keeping minutes of all executive meetings and of the AGM. Organizing and ensuring smooth operation of the awards and prizes committees
· Member-at large #2 – conference liaison: Organizing the conference overall—working with the conference committee to ensure all details of the annual conference, from the call for papers through to abstract adjudication, keynote speaker organizing, and other program arrangements—and liaising regularly with the rest of the executive on the state of the conference
Feel free to contact any executive member for more information!
In addition, people are needed to serve on the conference organizing committee (in various capacities) and on the awards and prizes committees. All committee terms are for one year.
· Conference committee:
o Keynote speakers (2 people)
o Events and program organizing (2-3 people)
o Abstract adjudication (5-7 people)
· Undergraduate Prize committee: 3-5 people
· Graduate Prize committee: 3-5 people
· Outstanding Scholarship Prize Committee: 3-5 people (at least two should have reading fluency in French)
Self and other nominations for all positions are accepted until and at the AGM! If nominating someone else, please ensure that they have agreed to be nominated.
Please send all nominations to: Ilya Parkins, Secretary of WGSRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet us at Congress 2017! Access the program here.
Women's and Gender Studies in the news
- July 11, 2014: WGSRF president Annalee Lepp and other editors and contributors to the volume, Selling Sex: Experience, Advocacy, and Research on Sex Work in Canada.collborated on the writing of "All sex workers will be harmed by Bill C-36, #yesallsexworkers" published on Rabble.ca.
- September 27th, 2013: WGSRF president Annalee Lepp interviewed for CTV News on gendered violence on Canadian college campuses and the prospect of 'Men's Centres' at Canadian universities: read at the source.
- CBC "The Current": See here for a compilation of all the letters written by members of the association (and forwarded to the communications officer for inclusion on the website). Very impressive! And listen here (a few minutes into the 'Letters' section) for Ann Braithwaite on 'The Current' with Anna Maria Tremonti, January 2010.
- Women's and Gender Studies in the Media - again. See here for a number of links to the National Post article and editorial about Women's and Gender Studies, as well as for the association's response. Winter 2010 was a busy semester for WGS in the media spotlight.
Other items of interest
- Check out the Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women / Institut canadien de recherches sur les femmes (CRIAW/ICREF) -- lots of great up to date information about their activities, and resources for teaching and research!
- Did you know that there's an academic group for francophone feminist studies in Quebec and Canada? Check them out here