Benefits of membership now also include 20%-30% discount off the book purchase price from our partner publishers, McGill-Queen's Press, and Inanna Publications.
McGill-Queen's University Press is a scholarly publisher that defends, refutes, and creates fresh interpretations of the world. WGSRF members receive 20% off paperback, 30% off cloth titles in this flyer. Valid from May 1st, 2017 to April 30th, 2019.
Inanna Publications and Education Inc., publisher of one of Canada’s oldest feminist scholarly journals, Canadian Woman Studies/les cahier de la femme, is committed to publishing fiction and non-fiction that bring new, innovative and diverse perspectives with the potential to change and enhance women’s lives everywhere. WGSRF members receive 20% discount off their titles, as well as past and current issues of the Canadian Woman Studies/les cahier de la femm journal. For a full list of titles see www.inanna.ca. Please contact WGSRF for promo code.
WGSRF Call for Nominations!
It’s that time of year again! The WGSRF executive is looking for new members to join the executive in the following positions, to be elected at the Annual General Meeting, held during the upcoming conference (Monday, May 29th, 5:00-6:30pm). All positions, except for that of President-elect, are for two years.
· President-elect: 2017-2018, followed by a two year position as President (3 years total). To serve as President of the association—organizing regular executive meetings and the AGM, liaising with CFHSS, ensuring smooth operation of the association’s activities in all ways
· Communications: up to two people. Updating and maintaining the WGSRF website, facebook page, twitter account, and other online presence. Corresponding with membership, responding to WGSRF and/or WGS in the news, etc.
· Secretary: Keeping minutes of all executive meetings and of the AGM. Organizing and ensuring smooth operation of the awards and prizes committees
· Member-at large #2 – conference liaison: Organizing the conference overall—working with the conference committee to ensure all details of the annual conference, from the call for papers through to abstract adjudication, keynote speaker organizing, and other program arrangements—and liaising regularly with the rest of the executive on the state of the conference
Feel free to contact any executive member for more information!
In addition, people are needed to serve on the conference organizing committee (in various capacities) and on the awards and prizes committees. All committee terms are for one year.
· Conference committee:
o Keynote speakers (2 people)
o Events and program organizing (2-3 people)
o Abstract adjudication (5-7 people)
· Undergraduate Prize committee: 3-5 people
· Graduate Prize committee: 3-5 people
· Outstanding Scholarship Prize Committee: 3-5 people (at least two should have reading fluency in French)
Self and other nominations for all positions are accepted until and at the AGM! If nominating someone else, please ensure that they have agreed to be nominated.
Please send all nominations to: Ilya Parkins, Secretary of WGSRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
WGSRF Public Statement – for wide distribution, Jan 30, 2017
Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féminstes condemns in the strongest way the anti-Muslim events that have unfolded over the weekend: the travel ban in the US and the confusion and disarray this has engendered, and the shootings yesterday at a Québec City mosque. As an academic association dedicated to the critical analysis of identity and power, we denounce acts and rhetorics designed to create divisiveness and intolerance. The tragic events of people being targeted for who they are goes against all principles of human and social justice that our association reflects, as well as broader Canadian values based on diversity, inclusion and respect for which this association stands. We offer our deepest sympathy to everyone targeted by these related events, and our full and ongoing support to everyone fighting against them. Together, united in our differences, we will continue to work, in collaboration with others, towards a more just and equitable world for all.
Déclaration publique – à diffuser largement
Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes exprime sa condamnation la plus sévère des incidents anti-musulmans survenus pendant la dernière semaine : le décret sur l’immigration aux États-Unis et la confusion et le désordre qui en résultent, ainsi que la fusillade dans une mosquée à Québec. En tant qu’association universitaire vouée à l’analyse critique de l’identité et du pouvoir, nous dénonçons les actes et les discours conçus pour créer la dissension et l’intolérance. Ces événements tragiques, où les personnes sont ciblées pour ce qu’elles sont, vont à l’encontre de tout principe de justice humaine et sociale que reflète notre association, ainsi que des valeurs canadiennes plus larges fondées sur la diversité, l’inclusion et le respect que défend cette association. Nous exprimons notre profonde sympathie à toute personne touchée par cet ensemble d’incidents et apportons notre entier soutien pour lutter contre ces événements. Ensemble, uni-es dans nos différences, nous continuerons de travailler dans l’esprit de la collaboration pour créer un monde plus juste et plus équitable pour toute personne.